Monday, November 22, 2010

Twin Babies

Picture is from last Christmas 2009.

Two 15 lb. turkeys. Tom and Jerry. One in the fridge and one in a sink of cold water. I am taking each of them out for a soak every now and then, hoping they thaw completely by Thanksgiving. One will be roasted in the oven, topped with bacon for my husband, and carved before the guests arrive. One will be roasted in the portable roaster. My brother is also bringing turkey (cajun fried turkey) and dressing (cajun dressing) and I look forward to trying it, but I want leftovers and lots of white meat for 18 - 20 people. With Winn Dixie's value card, each turkey was only $10 and change. I was only going to buy an extra frozen breast but just a little one cost almost as much as the whole turkey.

The most simple meal is planned. Lots of turkey and gravy, mashed potatoes, mashed sweet potatoes topped with a layer of fat, toasty marshmallows, green bean casserole, rolls, cranberry sauce, homemade herb dressing and Mrs. Smith's pumpkin and apple pies.

Nothing fancy. Everything easy. But it will taste good and be shared with friends and family. YMMMM! Happy Thanksgiving. Got to go put the turkey baby back in the fridge.
Edited to add: My neighbor pointed out that I have 3 days to thaw the turkeys, not 2 like I thought. So no more cold water baths are necessary.

No comments:

Post a Comment