Sunday, August 7, 2011

Doilies - Who Knew?

Found this picture at Today's Treasures from Ruffled Doilies American Thread, Star Book 59


Picture from Google Images - source: unknown


A post by GreyGreyDesigns sent me on a quest this morning. She did a post on doilies (of all things) and they were awesome. Check out the wonderful things this event and party planner does with the lowly doily. That got me thinking about a ruffled crochet doily that my mother used to have. The top picture is the closest I could find. My mother had a lamp in the middle of her doily and it sat on a little round table with a lion's mouth pull on the single drawer. I don't know what happened to it. It certainly did not match the decor of our new house full of Danish Modern furniture in the 60's. As I was looking I also came across this grape doily which brought back a very vivid memory. I don't know who made it or where I saw it, but we definately had a doily that looks much like the one above. The grapes were three dimensional. As a child, I loved it. The quest I went searching for today is a hand crochet piece that says McGee. It used to be in a picture frame which I dismantled. Now I regret it. I need to find that piece and return it to Jonah's dad. It belongs in their family.

No comments:

Post a Comment